Pages

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

I'm not going to write a book

I am sick of people telling me that I should write a book.  My life is not interesting enough to be the subject material for a book.  I am not funny enough to write a book.  Not even I would read a book about my life, and I've read a LOT of really boring books in my time (or bought the cliffnotes for a lot of really boring books at least).  Heck, I'm not even certain my life is interesting enough or I am funny enough for a blog.  But there are a lot of people out there with really boring blogs, so I'm hoping my life is at least interesting enough for this.

I'm just a girl.  I'm a girl with a lot of friends.  A lot of those friends happen to be gay.  Ok, fine. I am a straight girl with an overabundance of gay guy friends.  Call me a "Fag Hag" or a "Fruit Fly" or any other of the number of names for it.  (I've heard "Queer Dear" and "Flame Dame" already.  Anybody have any others?)  I'm slowly coming to terms with the stereotypical nature of that.  It's not that I don't like the titles - they're actually quite clever - but I just can't bring myself to really own it.  I'm not a girl who seeks out the company of gay men.  It just sort of...happened.  A good friend came out of the closet.  Then I met his new boyfriend.  Then I met his new boyfriend's friends.  Then I met his boyfriend's friends' friends.  You can see where I'm going with this.  It sort of spiraled out of control.  But that is an amazing thing.  I've reached the age where I only want to spend time with people that I actually enjoy spending time with and who seem to actually enjoy spending time with me.  Gone are the college days of spending hours on end with people that I needed to have a buzz just to be around and couldn't trust with my secrets.  Somehow, after years of just wandering around from friend group to friend group aimlessly, I accidentally stumbled upon the most amazing community.  These people accept people for who they are!  Ok, sure, they are also incredibly critical of and gossipy about everybody, but they do accept them.  These friends are just like any other group of friends who share something in common and can relate to one another. In our case, it just happens to be men.  Oh, and the love of fun.

We do have a lot of fun.  Honestly, I've had more fun in the last year of my life than all the years before it.  So I guess I'll just be writing about that.  I'm not really sure where this is going.  Mostly I'm writing this blog so that when people say "wow, you know, you should really write a book about this", I can respond with something other than "ummm....no".  Now I can say "well, actually I do have a blog".  It'll make me seem important.  I'll try to change the names to protect the, well, not-so-innocent, but some of us have nicknames - nicknames that are just too clever and amazing to not be shared.  But I'll change real names.  Somebody is totally going to be named Bartholomew!  That name is so not used often enough.  Neither is Myrtle.  Oooo, this is going to be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Just for the record, I am SO excited you started this. Now you can make me laugh even when I'm not with you. And you do make me laugh. A lot. I heart you.

    I hope I'm still the first commenter. Commenting from an iPhone is hard. You should have seen this without auto-correct. Can't wait for more.

    Love you. And you could write a book. I'd read it.


    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirsten, you're the only person I sent the link to so far, so I'm pretty sure you're still the first commenter. :-)

    Also, I should point out that it's not that I didn't find people in previous friend groups that were AMAZING. I just haven't until now found an entire friend group that was amazing. I had other friend groups that did eventually weed people out until the remaining people were all amazing...and then slowly moved away. But...you know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete